TOMOKO KANO, Dr.
Teikyo Heisei University, Heritage Town project Lab.
Tourism Management Department, 4-21-2 Nakano, Nakano-ku, Tokyo – JAPAN
Dr. Tomoko Kano is a Japanese, but she grew up in both Brazil and Japan when she was child. Living in two different countries had a profound effect on her from a young age, and she quickly became fascinated by how countries around the world can be so different culturally: different local customs, living environments, housing design, poverty issues, and so on. This basic interest to cultural diversity led her to research architecture and urban design, tourism, and she is now working at university as a professor and field-studying with organizing Heritage Town Project Lab. especially in Japan and Turkey.
Tekyo Heisei University, Department of Tourism Management, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
The University of Tokyo, Institute of Industrial Science, Department of Architecture
CURRENT RESEARH PROJECTS
- Disaster Risk Mitigation Plans for Public Spaces in World Heritage Areas
- Establishment of Local Community Engagement Based Mutual-Help System for Disaster Risk Reduction in Istanbul Historical District Via Effective Use of IT Tools and Disaster Imagination Game Technique
- World Heritage and Disaster Risk Mitigation：For Sustainable Heritage Tourism in Asia
- Study of spatial characteristics and proposed design for "open spaces for disaster mitigation" in the high-density residential area of Bergama, a World Heritage site in Turkey
WORKSHOP and SYMPOSIA
- Presentation, 2nd International Conference of Critical Tourism Studies Asia Pacific (2020) “Utilising traditional social places for community resilience: Disaster risk management planning for World Heritage sites in Nepal and Turkey” Nara, Japan.
- Organization and Presentation, Bergama International Professional Meeting （2019.2） “World Heritage and Disaster Risk Mitigation: For Sustainable Heritage Tourism in Bergama” Izmir,Turkey.
- Organization, Bergama Local Community-based Workshop （2019.2） “World Heritage and Disaster Risk Mitigation: For Sustainable Heritage Tourism in Bergama” Izmir, Turkey.
- Presentation, 8th ICBR International Conference of Building Resilience （2018.11） “Social place of heritage: Disaster risk mitigation plan in Asia” Lisbon, Portugal.
- Presentation, Chengdu Workshop (2018.3) “World Heritage and Disaster Risk Management: For Sustainable Heritage Tourism in China” Jiaotong University, Chengdu, Sichuan Province, China.
- Presentation, 33rd National Scientific research Conference (2018.3) “Heritage Tourism and Disaster Management in Asia: A Comparison of China, Nepal and Turkey” The Japan Society for Interdisciplinary Tourism Studies, Yamaguchi, Japan.
- Presentation, International Shanghai Workshop (2018.3) “World Heritage and Disaster Risk Management: For Sustainable Heritage Tourism in China” Tongji University, Shanghai, China.
- Attendant, Community-based workshop hosted by Ritsumeikan University (2017.11) “Workshop on Disaster Risk Management Risk Management Activity Guideline of Nagbahal and Ilanani tole” Patan, Nepal.
- Presentation, International Workshop in Bali （2017.3）“World Heritage and Disaster Risk Mitigation :For Sustainable Heritage Tourism in Bali” Udayana University, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia.
- Organization, International Workshop in Tokyo （2017.2） “World Heritage and Disaster Risk Mitigation: For Sustainable Heritage Tourism in Asia” Teikyo Heisei University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Lecture, 基隆山海Workshop （2017.2）“Study method in Village-houses” 太平小学校, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Attendant, 40th session of the World Heritage Committee （2016.7） Istanbul, Turkey.
- Lecture, ANA ICOMOS Academy （2015.10）“Cultural Landscape of the Turkish historical city Bergama and Travel” ANA Wonder Lounge, Tokyo, Japan.
- Presentation, 3rd International Conference on Archi-Cultural Translations through the Silkroad （2015）“Situation of “view point” for conserving Cultural Landscape” Istanbul, Turkey.
- Lecture, Bunkyo Lifelong Learning College （2013.7）“Turkish Architecture and World Heritage” Bunkyo Gakuen University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Presentation, ICOMOS-ICORP International Symposium（2012.11）”Sustainable Development of Dwellers’ Life and Tourism in Historical Settlement – Take Bergama City, Turkey as an Example” Cultural HERITAGE Protection in Times of RISK Challenges and Opportunities, Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul.
- Co-Presentation, UNESCO IPRED Workshop （2011.8） “Protecting Structure and Saving Lives”, Santiago, Chile.
- Speaker, 1st Bergama International Symposium （2011.4） “Cooperation for Sustainable Development of Life and Cultural Tourism in Bergama” Izmir, Turkey.
- Presentation, 1st International Conference on Archi-Cultural Translations through the Silkroad（2011.3）“Description of “Traditional Dwelling’s Interface” in the Silkroad Cities” Istanbul, Turkey.
- Lecture, International TSUKUBA workshop 2010 （2010.10）Tsukuba University, Japan.
- Support, 7th International Policy Forum on Urban Growth and Conservation in Euro-Asian Corridor 2010 （2010.5） Istanbul, Turkey.
- Organization, 70th Space Studies Sub-Committee’s Symposium （2010.6） “Recovering from Wenchang Earthquake in China – Between City and Architecture” Architectural Institute of Japan，Tokyo, Japan.
- Lecture, Hong Kong University’s Workshop （2010.4）“Propose urban design schemes for a sustainable future in Odaiba area” The University of Tokyo, Japan.
- Co-Presentation, UNESCO IPRED Workshop （2009.7） “Making the People a Part of the Solution” Istanbul, Turkey.
- Tomoko Kano, Takae Tanaka and Momoyo Gota (2021 coming soon) “Investing in protecting heritage in Asia: Social places of heritage towns in Sichuan, Patan and Bergama” ELSEVIER.
- Tomoko Kano, Momoyo Gota (2020) “Space for Community Resilience: Disaster Risk Reduction Plans for the World Heritage Sites of Patan in Nepal, Lijian in China, and Bergama in Turkey” Bunkajinruigaku: Japanese Journal of Cultural Anthropology, 85(2) pp.254-271.
- Tomoko Kano, Shinji Yamashita, Momoyo Gota, Megumi Doshita, Takae Tanaka and Hiroi Iwahara (2018) “Cultural Resilience for the Future: Heritage Tourism and Disaster Risk Management in Asia” Proceedings of International Conference on Future of the Past: Tourism and Cultural Heritage in Asia, pp.609-623.
- Tomoko Kano (2018) “The potential of water spaces as disaster prevention and tourism base in Bergama, Turkey：Learning from Patan, World Heritage district in Nepal” The 52nd Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society of Cultural Anthropology, p.36.
- Tomoko Kano, Shinji Yamashita, Momoyo Gota, Megumi Doshita, Takae Tanaka and Hiroi Iwahara (2017) “World Heritage and Tourism in Asia: In Relation to Disaster Risk Management” Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference of EATSA -Euro-Asia Tourism Studies Association- Japan，pp.23-27.
- Tomoko Kano (2016) “Issue and Proposal of Tourism and Community Design Take Bergama, Turkey as an example” Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting, Architectural Institute of Japan, Urban Planning, Organized Session, pp.443-446.
- Tomoko Kano (2015) “Improvement and reorganization of vernacular spaces in Bergama, world heritage city” Journal of Teikyo Heisei University，27, pp. 153-159．
- Tomoko Kano (2015) “Issues of disaster prevention in World Heritage City “Bergama”, Turkey” 19th Academic Meeting, Japan Foundation for International Tourism, pp.18-19.
- Wan-Wen Huang, Tomoko Kano (2015) “Sustainable Development of Environment, Historical Places and Dwellers’ Community in Bergama, Turkey” 4th Annual International Conference on Architecture, ATINER’s Conference Paper Series ARC2014-1367，pp.1-18.
- Tomoko Kano (2013) “Comparative Study of Turkish Houses in Historical and Tourism Cities, Ankara” Journal of Teikyo Heisei University，25，pp.125-133．
- Tomoko Kano, Wan-Wen Huang (2012) “Sustainable Development of Dwellers’ Life and Tourism in Historical Settlement – Take Bergama City, Turkey as an Example” Cultural HERITAGE Protection in Times of RISK Challenges and Opportunities, ICOMOS- ICORP International Symposium, pp.255-263.
- Tomoko Kano (2012) “Study for Sustainable Living Spaces in a Historical Tourism City : Take Bergama -Turkey, candidate World Heritage Site, as an example” Journal of Teikyo Heisei University，24 (2), pp.347-354．
- Tomoko Kano, Hidehiko Sazanami (2012) “Report of Community Safety regarding Reducing Earthquake Disaster Risks” Journal of Teikyo Heisei University，23 (2), pp.147-153．
- Hidehiko Sazanami, Tomoko Kano (2011) “The Great East Japan Disaster and Metropolitan Planning” UNESCO-IPRED Santiago，pp.138-147．
- Tomoko Kano (2011) “Cooperation for Sustainable Development of Life and Cultural Tourism in Bergama” International Bergama Symposium, pp.254-261．
- Tomoko Kano (2009) “Regional and Tourism Development Study of Historic Areas in the Old City of Beijing” Journal of Teikyo Heisei University，21(2), pp.143-154.
- Hidehiko Sazanami, Tomoko Kano (2010) “Recovery Scenario and National Land Planning Strategy for the Major Natural and Man-Made Disasters to Eastern Japan” UNESCO-IPRED Padang, pp.208-217．
- Hidehiko Sazanami, Tomoko Kano (2009) “Natural Disaster Prevention Strategy Hanshin - Awaji Region Recovery Program” UNESCO-IPRED Istanbul，pp.108-117．
- ICOMOS Japan
Member of public relations committee
- Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ)
Member of space studies sub-committee (working for publishing)
- The City Planning Institute of Japan (CPIJ)
- International Tourism Institute of Japan